Sunday, February 20, 2011

SO, I just finished watching "2001: A Space Odyssey" with my good mate, David Linaburg. It was a fantastical display of lights, an intensely subtle wash of philosophical silent dialogue, a subconscious squeeze in slow moving pictures... and basically an all around stunning feature. I feel very inadequate to try and write about it or to give any sort of summary, but I felt compelled to try. 


I actually went on a quick info-binge to stifle a bit of curiousity of the success and impact of the film. I came across this lass's blog post from 2009 in which she quotes Mr. Kubrick:


There are certain areas of feeling and reality,” Kubrick told the New York Times, “which are notably inaccessible to words. Non-verbal forms of expression such as music and painting can get at these areas, but words are a terrible straightjacket. It’s interesting how many prisoners of that straightjacket resent its being loosened.” 


(Gene B. Phillips, “Music in 2001: A Space Odyssey,” The Stanley Kubrick Archives. (p 390))


- via Sophie Ward's "Paper Castle Press"

---


I HIGHLY recommend it.


cheers,
NJ











---
ps. Does this have anything to with this?